Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Powder blue Tangs and Ick


Powder blue Tangs and Ick

So when I bought this nice 3 inch Powder Blue Tang the guy told me that they were sucseptibal to Ick. As with a lot of stories in the trade, I like to see for myself the ones that are true and which ones are fiction.
  Now I have had this tang for a few months and it has caught ick a few times but none of my other fish in my aquarium have gotten it. I don’t have a UV sterolizer and I have not treated the water since i don’t like putting chemicals in my salt water aquarium that could potentially have a bad affect on other organisiums in my aquarium. 
 There was a few articles that I have read that said by placing a salt water fish in fresh water for about 5 to 10 minutes will cause the ick to die off. Now If you know about ick then you will know that it is a fungis that grows on fish when they get stressed and have losed their protective coating. So by putting salt water fish in fresh water I thought wouldn’t be such a good idea since that is one of the most stressfull things for a fish. But I figured I should give it a shot anyway. This did work, and I started to see the ick redeuce in size after a day or so. Now its been 3 or 4 days since I have diped my Powder Blue Tang in fresh water to get rid of the ick and it is completely back all over the tang. So in my opinion this fresh water dip to get rid of the ick is a bad Idea. It will kill off the ick but since it doesn’t fix the reason it started in the first place it is not a good solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment